Gothamist

A non-profit newsroom, powered by WNYC.

Gothamist

WNYC Listen Live

Donate

 

 

News

Silverstein Proposes To Forget World Trade Center Tower 2


By

Jen Chung

Published Feb 19, 2010

Modified Feb 19, 2010


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


Never miss a story

 Email address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .

2009 photograph of where Tower 2 would stand by Joe Woolhead/Silverstein Properties

 


By

Jen Chung

Published Feb 19, 2010

Modified Feb 19, 2010


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


We rely on your support to make local news available to all

Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2026. Donate today

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations

World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein is trying to make nice with the Port Authority—and win the agency's okay—by offering new financing plans for towers at Ground Zero. And it looks like he's willing to sacrifice Norman Foster-designed Tower 2 in the process.

According to Crain's, "Mr. Silverstein says he'll pony up between $150 million and $250 million to fund the second tower instead of just the $50 million he had originally offered. He has also offered to allocate the insurance money and proceeds from all of his Liberty bonds to build the two towers. The proceeds were originally supposed to be divided over the three towers. Additionally, in a move that will save about $262 million, Mr. Silverstein will build what is referred to in various development plans as Tower 3, instead of his more expensive Tower 2." (Tower 4 is currently being constructed.)

Previously, there was talk that Tower 2, which is designed by Lord Norman Foster (who designed the Hearst Tower addition), and Tower 3, designed by Richard Rogers, would become low-rises while Tower 5 would be scrapped. The Daily News reports that the Port Authority, which has been sparring with the developer over money, thinks Silverstein's idea is a "non-starter" and wants him to put $600 million of his own cash into the deal. The battle between Silverstein and the PA will be examined on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

Tagged

larry silverstein

port authority

Tower 2

tower 4

world trade center

wtc


Jen Chung

Jen Chung is a former WNYC and Gothamist editor.

Read more

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


MORE news

Loss of Haitian caregivers leaves void NY nursing homes, patients will 'struggle to fill'

Trump's ending Temporary Protected Status for Haitians has implications beyond the immigrant community.

By

Arya Sundaram

Published Aug 6, 2026 at 6:30 a.m. ET


Mamdani’s childcare plan faces a hurdle: Home providers can’t earn a living

A longtime Bronx childcare owner explains how quickly her expenses stack up.

By

Karen Yi

News

Mamdani’s childcare plan faces a hurdle: Home providers can’t earn a living

A longtime Bronx childcare owner explains how quickly her expenses stack up.

By

Karen Yi


6-month-old baby found unresponsive in Brooklyn home dies, NYPD says

By

Giulia Heyward

Migrant kids, facing deportation, take on the US government alone in immigration court

By

Arya Sundaram

Brooklyn man charged with arson in destructive blaze at historic Bushwick church

By

Samantha Max


Never miss a story

Catch up on the most important headlines with a roundup of essential NYC stories, delivered to your inbox daily.

Sign upEmail address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .