Gothamist

A non-profit newsroom, powered by WNYC.

Gothamist

WNYC Listen Live

Donate

 

 

News

NYC sues 30 upstate counties, Suffolk County for barring migrants


By

Bahar Ostadan

Published Jun 7, 2023


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


Never miss a story

 Email address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .

Migrants arrive in New York City, courtesy of a chartered bus dispatched by Gov. Greg Abbott, Republican of Texas, in 2022.

 

Arya Sundaram / Gothamist


By

Bahar Ostadan

Published Jun 7, 2023


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


We rely on your support to make local news available to all

Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2026. Donate today

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations

Mayor Eric Adams’ administration sued 30 upstate counties and Long Island on Wednesday for refusing to accommodate migrants, saying it was time to bring an end to “xenophobic bigotry.”

Suburban and rural towns across the state have tried to “block New York City from arranging for even a small number of asylum-seekers to stay in private hotels within their jurisdictions – at the city’s expense – amidst a major humanitarian crisis,” the suit states.

The city is asking a judge to invalidate all “emergency executive orders” issued by county leaders barring migrants from staying in local hotels on the city’s dime.

On Tuesday, a federal judge vacated executive orders in Orange and Rockland counties. The city’s suit takes on the same counties under state law and expands the fight to more than two dozen other counties.

The suit was announced the same day that Democratic House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries and Sen. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced that FEMA will provide $104.6 million in funding to help the city care for migrants.

More than 47,200 migrants sleeping in over 160 sites are currently under the city’s care, city officials said earlier this week.

“Some elected officials have attempted to build metaphorical walls around their localities with unlawful executive orders,” Adams said in a press release. “This lawsuit aims to put an end to this xenophobic bigotry.”

Rockland County “even forced a hotel to close, displacing ordinary hotel guests and posting county law enforcement to monitor the location 24 hours a day,” read the suit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Adams sent several dozen migrants to a hotel in Orange County last month, despite vehement opposition from local officials. According to legal experts, attempts to prevent people from moving upstate are unconstitutional.

Most counties named in the suit overwhelmingly voted Republican in the last presidential election. The full list includes: Suffolk, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, Onondaga, Broome, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Cortland, Delaware, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Herkimer, Madison, Niagara, Oneida, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Rensselaer, Riverhead, Saratoga, Schoharie, Schuyler, Sullivan, Tioga, Warren and Wyoming counties.

“These people are heading to New York City because it is a sanctuary city and instead of living up to that declaration of sanctuary, Mayor Eric Adams and the city is exporting them to neighboring municipalities across the state of New York, including Rockland County,” Rockland County Executive Ed Day said in a statement earlier this week.

Some migrants have been met with hostility. One man bused to Newburgh told the Associated Press, “It’s better in New York City … There, no one cursed at you and said ‘go back to your country.’”

The city’s lawsuit on Wednesday was the latest in an ongoing legal battle pitting Adams against his suburban and rural counterparts. Orange, Rockland and Onondaga counties sued New York City last month, claiming that officials were acting beyond legal authority by trying to house migrants upstate.

Several weeks ago, a group of Hudson Valley hotel owners sued 26 upstate counties and some towns, claiming their local governments were bowing “to xenophobic and political interests.”

Tagged

new york city

Asylum Seekers


Bahar Ostadan

Twitter

Bahar Ostadan covers the NYPD and public safety. Got a tip? Email [email protected] or message Bahar on Signal at 646-740-7335.

Read more

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


MORE news

ICE pepper-sprayed NYC woman, 72, in the face. Gov. Hochul is peeved.

A video on social media shows the officer pepper-spraying the woman in the face, turning and then walking away.

By

Arya Sundaram

Published Aug 4, 2026 at 1:32 p.m. ET


Heavy police presence at Summer Streets marks latest NYPD surge under Mamdani

NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch has responded to large gatherings with unprecedented deployments of police.

By

Elizabeth Kim

News

Heavy police presence at Summer Streets marks latest NYPD surge under Mamdani

NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch has responded to large gatherings with unprecedented deployments of police.

By

Elizabeth Kim


1 out of 3 NYC families who applied for 2-K will get a seat. Parents find out today.

By

Karen Yi

Early morning train fire at Astor Place station injures 14 firefighters, MTA workers

By

Brittany Kriegstein

Early Addition: More than 50 Mamdani appointees are getting chauffeured around town

By

James Ramsay


Never miss a story

Catch up on the most important headlines with a roundup of essential NYC stories, delivered to your inbox daily.

Sign upEmail address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .