Gothamist

A non-profit newsroom, powered by WNYC.

Gothamist

WNYC Listen Live

Donate

 

 

News

NYC says UES Legionnaires’ outbreak is over, after recording 7th death


By

Caroline Lewis

Published Jul 31, 2026


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


Never miss a story

 Email address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .

View of the Upper East Side of Manhattan where a Legionnaires' disease outbreak has killed seven people and sickened more than 90.

 

Lindsey Nicholson/UCG/Universal Images Group via Getty Images


By

Caroline Lewis

Published Jul 31, 2026


Share

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail


We rely on your support to make local news available to all

Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2026. Donate today

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations

The city health department said on Friday the source of the deadly Legionnaires’ disease outbreak on the Upper East Side has been eliminated and those who live in or visit the area are no longer at heightened risk of catching the severe form of pneumonia.

“As a result of our strict enforcement and our swift action we can confirm the source of this Legionnaires’ disease community cluster has been eliminated,” Dr. Alister Martin, the city health commissioner, said in a morning press call.

The declaration came a day after the seventh death from the outbreak was announced, equaling the death toll from a Legionnaires’ outbreak last summer in Harlem. The cluster on the Upper East Side was first identified on July 2 and since then, 92 people have been diagnosed with Legionnaires, more than 70 were hospitalized, and five remain in the hospital, according to the city health department.

But Martin said it’s been at least two weeks since someone in the area has developed new symptoms of the disease, suggesting the threat has ended. It can take up to that long for symptoms to develop after exposure, he added.

City officials have said the outbreak was caused by a water cooling tower contaminated with Legionella bacteria, which causes the disease, located in one of the affected ZIP codes, which include 10128, 10028 and 10075.

Under city law, building owners are responsible for preventing the growth of Legionella in the water that sits in cooling towers. If mist contaminated with the bacteria gets sprayed into the atmosphere, it can sicken passersby.

The city health department has identified dozens of buildings that had Legionella growing in their cooling towers during the course of its investigation into the outbreak, including towers operated by the Met and the Guggenheim. All have since been remediated, but the city is still working to identify the tower that actually caused the outbreak, Martin said.

He said that in addition to testing all cooling towers in the affected area for Legionella, the city is also in the process of conducting more in-depth inspections to ensure buildings are following proper cooling-tower maintenance protocols.

About half of the 160 buildings with cooling towers in the affected area have been inspected so far, and those inspections have resulted in the city issuing 110 violations, Martin said. Two building owners have been identified as “bad actors,” including one who failed to register their cooling tower altogether, Martin said. He said those two building owners have been fined roughly $10,000 apiece.

Tagged

Health and Science

Legionnaires disease

health department

manhattan


Caroline Lewis

Caroline Lewis is on the health care beat for WNYC and Gothamist. She has covered COVID, a nurses' strike, the overdose crisis and New York’s marijuana legalization effort, and spent a year investigating patients' medical bills. She always wants to hear about how everyday New Yorkers experience the health system. Got a tip? Email [email protected].

Read more

Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations


MORE news

Police arrest 15-year-old after Yonkers shooting leaves 1 dead, 4 teens critically injured

The Sunday shooting involved four teenagers and a 20-year-old male victim.

By

Ramsey Khalifeh

Published Aug 3, 2026 at 12:12 p.m. ET


Early Addition: Former top Adams officials have pivoted to podcasting

Because conversations are being convened, here are your early links: The Bronx's own Vincent Pastore dies at 80, fireflies in Brooklyn, open mic nights on the Upper West Side and more.

By

James Ramsay

News

Early Addition: Former top Adams officials have pivoted to podcasting

Because conversations are being convened, here are your early links: The Bronx's own Vincent Pastore dies at 80, fireflies in Brooklyn, open mic nights on the Upper West Side and more.

By

James Ramsay


From Rikers to the open road: Program helps detainees land lucrative trucking jobs

By

Brittany Kriegstein

NYC home care workers urge end to 'torture' of 24-hour shifts

By

Caroline Lewis

Mamdani hasn't made NYC's buses free. Riders stopped paying anyway.

By

Stephen Nessen


Never miss a story

Catch up on the most important headlines with a roundup of essential NYC stories, delivered to your inbox daily.

Sign upEmail address

By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms .